K9 Nose Work® Class Tools
What You Need to Bring to Class
- Crate: (where your dog will rest between runs). You can bring your own or there are a number of crates at the ODAH facility that can be used, or your dog can use the boarding facility as well. Dogs may also be crated in your vehicle, weather permitting. Dogs need to tolerate being crated or being in the boarding run or in your vehicle.
- Water: (for your dog when working outside).
- Flat Collar or Harness: Collar should be buckle or Martingale style. No head halters or Easy Walk harnesses during runs but they may be used to and from the search area as needed.
- Leash: A 6-foot light-weight leather or nylon leash (no chain or retractable). All dangling items, rings, charms, poop bag holders must be removed so as not to distract your dog.
- Toys and/or Treats: HIGH VALUE toys and treats and plenty of them! Bring a few things in case what you thought was going to work doesn’t. Sometimes your usual food reward for other activities is not high enough value for Nose Work. Also, the smeller the better! We’ve found some of the following to be very motivating: tuna, sardines, salmon, bleu cheese, ham hocks, sausages, mackerel, meatballs, liverwurst and hot dogs. Please avoid crumbly/crunchy cookie-type treats.
- Treat Pouch/Bait Bag: Please bring a small vented container, bait bag or “Tug N Treat” in which to put the food. (No plastic baggies.)
- Hungry & Motivated Dog: Please either don’t feed your dog before the class, or feed a reduced meal so that your dog is hungry and motivated. Also if you have a high energy dog, please don’t burn them out with a long hike or play session before the class.